TLDR: Grammarly is the best overall grammar checker tool. With 20 million users, it’s one of the most popular tools and for a reason. They have a free tier that is already excellent and integrates with multiple applications such as Gmail, Google Docs and even Facebook Messenger. Their premium tier even allows you to even adjust the tone and style of the text to be more dry or persuasive.
When it comes to writing anything meant for other people to read, you want to make sure you are using proper writing etiquette.
Whether you are writing an article for work, a paper for school, or a story for a blog following the rules of writing is what makes your piece readable and clear.
The majority of online traffic nowadays is generated through search engines. Poor grammar can cause low search engine rankings meaning your site will not have much traffic.
In fact, the bounce rate on landing pages with sloppy spelling and grammar was 85% more than those that were correctly written and spell-checked.
Luckily, there are websites and software dedicated to helping you check to make sure your work makes sense and uses proper writing techniques. Not to mention some stand alone programs meant just for checking your grammar. Some are even free to use. I’ve outlined some of the best ones that I have found in this article.
What is a Grammar Checker?
Grammar checkers are software that help a writer ensure they are constructing their sentences properly, checking both the spelling and syntax.
This software is commonly found in word processors such as Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and Apple Pages.
Using processing of natural languages, along with grammatical rules, checkers point out mistakes in grammar usage and other writing blunders.
Many grammar checkers look for errors in spelling, they look to make sure the writing style is consistent, and they even learn how the writer “speaks”, also known as their diction. Making sure your writing is consistent throughout the piece helps keep it clear and precise.
The flaws with these programs are that, usually, natural languages do not always fall in line with the tedious rules of grammar.
They also have wide ranges of vocabulary and syntax. Due to these factors, good grammar checkers need to have a vast dictionary with complete meanings and usage.
When you add in all of the exceptions to rules found in natural languages, even when using a grammar checker, writing with perfect grammar is very difficult to accomplish, and nearly impossible for the average writer.
When using a grammar checker, you will want to make sure it is a reputable software that works properly.
What is the Best Grammar Checker?
Here are 15 of the best grammar checkers of 2021.
1. Grammarly – Best Overall
With more than 20 million users, Grammarly is one of the most well-known grammar checkers, or writing assistants, in the market. It doesn’t just check for grammar, rather it looks for all types of writing mistakes. From misused words to sentences that are structured incorrectly.
When the program detects an error, it will then offer suggestions to fix it. It can help find grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style inconsistencies. It can even help boost your vocabulary.
What’s great about Grammarly is that it works on almost all sites and applications.
It can work on email sites like Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, and Messenger. You can ensure your social media posts on sites like Facebook and Twitter are just as precise as your documents and projects on Google Docs.
The areas that Grammarly addresses include correctness, clarity, engagement, and delivery.
- AI-powered writing assistant
- Themed writing feedback organization
- Works in multiple platforms
- Multiple error type detection
- Offers real-time corrections
- Highly accurate
- User friendly for all levels
- Customizable to add words to its dictionary
- Limited usage for free users
- Pushy advertising for plan upgrades
- Only works when connected to the internet
Grammarly offers 3 different plans for different levels of usage. Their basic plan is free, but only offers basic corrections on spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Their premium plan for individuals helps improve style, tone, and clarity and start out at $12.00/month. This plan offers sentence rewrites, detecting plagiarism, fluency, vocabulary, formality level, and other advanced suggestions.
Then their business plans for professional teams start at $12.50/member/month. These plans come with everything found in the premium plans, as well as a style guide, priority email support, and is able to be used by more than three users with individual accounts.
2. Hemingway Editor – Best Free Application
Coming in the form of an online software or desktop app is the Hemingway Editor.
Instead of simply providing fixes to errors, Hemingway actually helps you improve your style, in turn improving the readability of your piece.
To use this editing software, you can choose to copy and paste a pre-written work or type new work directly into the program.
When you have entered the writing, the sidebar on the right-hand side of the page will automatically begin to show you feedback to improve your writing. This information will include an estimated amount of time it will take a reader to read the text, letter, character, paragraph, word, and sentence count.
Similar to Microsoft’s checkers, Hemingway uses different colors to represent different types of suggestions. Blue suggestions are usually weak language and adverbs, but heavy and complicated sentences are highlighted in red.
The app even offers a reading skill level of your edited text.
- Available as a third-party integration or browser extension
- Utilizes automated readability technology
- Can be used either online or offline
- Helps improve the readability of any work
- Includes a writing style checker
- Identifies when the writer is using a passive voice
- Helps the writer avoid comma splices and run-on sentences
- User friendly interface
- Color coding error suggestions
- Will mark every adverb as an error
- Online version does not have a “save” function
- Does not help with tedious spelling and grammar checks
- Cannot use on different sites and apps
The regular online program is free to all users through the Hemingway App website.
As an alternative, users can purchase the Desktop Version. The desktop app is available for $19.99 and compatible with Mac OSX or Windows. This version is usable wherever you go with or without Wi-Fi.
3. Ginger Software – Best Multi Language Checker
Ginger is a system that checks grammar, spelling, and punctuation to help users become better and faster writers.
Ginger can also be used to communicate across more than 40 languages and help those that need it, improve their English language skills.
Using AI technology, this program can also help writers avoid a lot of redundancy by offering rephrased sentence suggestions.
It also offers a dictionary that can help you determine how to properly phrase a sentence. It can even read a sentence back to you so you can hear what other people will read.
To begin using Ginger the user will have to add the extension to their browser, then create an account using their email and a password. Once an account is created, the browser extension is pretty user friendly.
- Helps writer rephrase sentences to avoid repetition
- Offers a dictionary for proper usage of words and phrases
- Grammar checker
- Can help people improve their English language skills
- Has a variety of unique features
- Can translate in multiple languages
- Keyboard app helps with sending messages on a phone
- Compatible with Mac or Windows
- Not available for Firefox
- Requires an internet connection
- All edit suggestions are once color
- There is no plagiarism detection
Ginger Software’s browser extension is completely free. All you need is to install the program and create an account. Once you do, you will have access to the features listed above.
Upgrading to a premium plan will give access to a wider range of writing error suggestions, more languages available for translation, and practice sessions that are based on the users own writings.
You will also be able to use Ginger for Desktops, Microsoft Office, Safari, Chrome, and mobile operating systems. Plus, it comes with a 7-day, money back guarantee.
Premium plans can be purchased monthly at $20.97/month, annually at $7.49/month (billed as one payment of $89.88) or for 2-years at $6.66/month (billed as one payment of $159.84)
4. After the Deadline – Best For WordPress Websites
After the Deadline is owned by Automattic – the parent company of WordPress. It is the company’s grammar and spelling checker software. It works as an online checker for contextual spelling, advanced style, and intelligent grammar.
After the Deadline uses AI technology and natural language processing to find errors in your text and offer suggestions. It can be accessed through WordPress, plugins, add-ons, and different platform extensions.
A tool marked “Demonstration” on its actual website is a simple tool you can use as well. You will need to copy and paste your text in the box.
Once it begins checking, you will begin receiving edit suggestions immediately. Red suggestions are spelling errors, green are grammatical errors, and blue are style suggestions.
It also offers an “Explain” option that helps the writers understand what is wrong with the highlighted error.
- Contextual spell checker with AI technology
- Checks for misused words and offers suggestions of correct words
- Style checker that uses context to offer suggestions
- Grammar checker that uses statistics to find exceptions to the rules
- Error explanations
- Very user friendly
- Highly accurate
- Compatible with a wide range of platforms
- Offered in 5 different languages
- Not available for mobile devices
- There is no customer support for platform versions
- Lacks a plagiarism detector
- Downloads through GitHub instead of software stores like the Chrome store
After the Deadline is completely free to use.
5. Language Tool – Best Open Source Solution
Language Tool is a very unique grammar checker powered by Open Source software. It uses a very clean interface which makes it extremely user friendly.
The online checker can be used on mobile devices or through the internet.
Language Tool is compatible with Firefox, Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, Chrome, and Google Docs. There are even a wide variety of add-ons and other extras for programs like CheckMate and Android.
The limitations of this checker, even in the free version, are actually quite minimal. This version will check up to 20,000 characters at a time.
This tool can be used to check grammar in over 20 different languages including Dutch, Japanese, Italian, and Greek. Users can choose their preferred language through an auto-detect feature or selecting it manually by country.
Plus, while it is an online checker, it can be downloaded for offline use too.
- Very user-friendly interface
- Uses over 1700 patterns for detection of spelling and grammar errors
- Wide variety of plugins, add-ons, extensions, and third-party integration
- Precise grammar accuracy that detects mistakes made multiple times
- User- friendly
- Catches mistakes many other platforms miss
- Can translate over 20 languages
- Variety of extras to expand use of the software
- Misses use of passive voice and similar mistakes
- No plagiarism detection
- Many of the apps are not supported by the actual LanguageTool team
Language Tool is available in 3 different levels.
Their free version comes with a 20,000-character check through languagetool.org and different patterns for errors in multiple languages.
The premium plan bumps up the character limit to 40,000 and is used through languagetoolplus.com. With this, users will get everything that comes with the free option plus detection of gender salutations in some languages, incorrect ISBN and IBAN numbers, and more. These plans start at $19.00/month that can be cancelled anytime, 3-month subscription for $13/month or $39/3-months, or yearly for $4.92/month or $59/year.
They also offer options for developers that start at $29/month for 250 API calls per day.
6. WhiteSmoke – Most Cost Effective
WhiteSmoke is a software that finds spelling, word choice, punctuation, style, and grammar mistakes. It is often considered a top competitor for Grammarly’s number one spot in this category. It will help you with online grammar and proofreading.
WhiteSmoke comes with over 100 built in templates, a translator and dictionary for over 50 languages, and a plagiarism checker.
It uses natural language processing and unique AI algorithms for text analysis. It also has tutorials for learning as you go, and an explanation of ite error correction features.
Every piece of this software works together to provide an exceptional editing experience. Not only is it compatible with all web browsers, but it also comes in a mobile app for both iOS and Android devices. This is a system that is accurate and user-friendly.
- Program is Microsoft Word & Outlook integrated
- Checks for all types of writing errors and plagiarism
- Text enrichment, explanations of errors, and tutorials help improve the user’s skills
- Compatible with majority of popular browsers
- Utilizes over 100 templates for documents and letters
- Text and video tutorials for creating good content
- Uses a color-coded review system for identifying types of errors
- Multi-device platform
- Translator for over 50 languages
- Desktop app is very limited with a maximum character count of 10,000
- Plagiarism checker is difficult to find and use
- Company does not have the greatest customer service
For yearly options WhiteSmoke plans come in web form for $5/month billed as one payment of $59.95, premium package for $6.66/month, billed as one payment of $79.95, and business for $11.50/ month billed as one payment of $137.95.
Then they offer 3-year options on the web for $3.47/month billed as one payment of $124.95, premium for $5.55/month billed as one payment of $199.95, and business for $8.82/month billed as one payment of $317.50.
Scribens is a grammar checker tool with a free option. It uses a syntax algorithm and offers suggestions for more than 250 types of errors, including grammar, style, and spelling.
It can also catch usage mistakes in verbs, prepositions, homonyms, punctuation, typography, and pronouns.
Scribens user interface is pretty straightforward and helps writers to not repeat the same mistakes over and over again.
Also, getting started does not require any kind of app installation or account creation. Users simply open the site, copy, paste, or upload the text and then hit the “check” button.
This software is one of the top when it comes to different compatibilities. There are extensions for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.
It can also be used for most Microsoft Office applications on Windows and Mac, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google Docs & Sheets, and Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Error explanations that help improve writing skills
- Straightforward and clear interface to easy use
- Multi-application compatibility across most devices
- Smart syntactical algorithm for catching multiple types of errors
- Very user-friendly by not requiring a download or account creation
- Helps improve the skills of the user
- Works on a wide range of devices
- Helps writers with making sure the text is clear and understandable
- Misses a lot of punctuation and grammar errors
- It does not offer a plagiarism Checker
- Can only proofread texts in the English language
- No customer service for the software
Scribens offers 3 different premium, or paid, subscription options.
The monthly offer starts at $6.94/month, and a 3-month offer starting at $17.52/3-months which equals $5.84/month. They also offer a yearly subscription that starts at $46.91/year which equals to $5.09/month.
As a heads up, the Scribens website uses Euros instead of US Dollars. The prices listed here are the currency conversions.
ProWritingAid is a tool that not only checks for proper grammar, but also checks the content, and style.
Their editing software helps enhance word choice and gives the user reports on how to improve their writing skills.
The software can be used with Google Docs, WordPress, and Gmail to ensure all writings are clean of errors. You can also integrate it with Microsoft Office, Outlook, and the majority of web browsers. There is also a Windows and Mac compatible Desktop App. Also, users can just use the web-based editor.
ProWriting offers suggestions for readability, grammar, and spelling. It also comes with term and style suggestions.
Users will also have access to reports that can help writers improve on their writing abilities. They also have a contextual thesaurus so writers can easily find the right words.
They want to make writing more fun, so they offer articles, videos, suggestions, and quizzes.
- Multi-application compatibility
- Checker for multiple types of writing errors
- In-depth reports to help writers find learn where they need improvement
- Teaching tools for writing skills enhancement
- Assistance in style and correct word usage
- Offers a lot of extra features
- Highly compatible across multiple devices
- Offers reports for improvements
- Desktop App available
- Takes a little longer to check longer texts than other software
- Plagiarism is only offered at the premium level which is a paid subscription
- Software does not have any mobile apps available
- Interface is not the most user-friendly setup
ProWritingAid offers 3 different subscription levels.
The monthly subscription offer starts at $20/month and a yearly subscription that starts at $79/year which equals down to $6.58/month. The company also offers a lifetime plan that comes in a one-time payment of $399 and includes all updates.
SpellCheck is an online, web-based software that helps writers check for spelling and grammar errors.
SpellCheck was developed to help users whose first language is not English.
It offers suggestions and teaches how to correct their own errors.
Its best feature is finding words that seem to be the most confusing, such as there, their, and they’re. It also detects errors in capitalization, punctuation, and grammar. Once it has found these errors it then organizes them into types for easy error identification.
When it finds errors it also offers explanations to help users avoid making these errors again. To help with this, the program uses a step-by-step way for correcting their own mistakes. This program really focuses on the user by not editing it automatically.
- Can be used as a teaching tool to improve skills
- Offers error explanations
- Find errors of multiple types of writing errors
- Offers suggestions without automatically fixing the error
- Compatible with iOS, Android, and is web-based
- Offers online customer support
- Teaches users while they edit
- Gives the user access to a thesaurus for proper word usage
- Only offers integration for Microsoft Word
- Only supported in the English language
- No Desktop or mobile apps
- No plagiarism detection
For the most part, SpellCheckPlus is a free, web-based editing tool. Users just navigate to the website, copy and paste the work, or type it straight into the box, and hit check. This will give them all the suggestions it can find.
For some extra features like a resizable editor and text archiving, users can purchase a one-year license for SpellCheckPlus Pro for $14.99.
10. Grammar Slammer
Grammar Slammer is a software designed for writers of all types.
It is an innovative software that offers an English grammar checker to help writers clean up their work. Its main benefits are its grammar and spell checks, Microsoft Word integrations, and the ability to offer this at a reasonable price.
The program was designed to help encourage writers and aid them in creating clean and error free content without having to pay a lot of money for it.
The editing tool helps writers learn and understand the English grammar rules and syntax.
By offering suggestions and explanations for the writing errors, Grammar Slammer teaches the user how to write in a proper and more effective way.
Grammar Slammer also integrates with Microsoft Word to improve the grammar and spelling checkers that come with the application. This allows writers to gain confidence in the software they are using.
- Offers proper spelling references and checks
- Easily integrates with Microsoft Word Macros
- Offers one-click answers for error explanations
- Offers proofing to look for spelling and grammar errors
- Uses a wide knowledge of English writing rules
- Helps users improve in their style and usage
- There is no free option
- This software is not very user-friendly for the average writer
- Is only available on the Desktop
- Only compatible with Microsoft Word
Grammar Slammer does not offer a free version of their software. However, users can download a trial copy to test it out.
Their basic option only helps with grammar and costs $25. The next step up is their Grammar Slammer Deluxe which adds their “Spelling Slammer” to their grammar assistance and costs $39. Then their top of the line is their Grammar Slammer Deluxe with Checkers which costs $49.
AutoCrit is an editing platform that is mostly directed towards the needs of novelists and other creative writers.
What this tool does is help writers fix issues with repetition, word choice, and pacing. For non-fiction it does help with readability and average grammar and spelling checks.
This is a helpful tool that allows writers to see their work through the reader’s eyes, instead of their own. The feedback a writer receives from the program changes with each genre. It will even compare your work to other authors.
The software is a great tool for writers that need help finding an outsider’s view and opinions on the writing. It will offer feedback for multiple areas including dialogue. Users have access to in-depth reports that are very relevant to a creative writer.
Another plus is that AutoCrit enables users to edit their work section by section as opposed to editing the entire piece of work all at once.
- Offers genre specific editing for more precise suggestions
- Allows users to compare their works to favorite authors
- Offers users step-by-step suggestions for improvements
- Gives instant feedback 24/7 from any device connected to the internet
- Offers the user the ability to see their work through the reader’s eyes
- Provides an in-depth look at the text’s strengths and weaknesses
- Genre based suggestions and edits
- Ability to avoid redundancy in the work
- Proof the work section by section
- Automatically changes formatting of Word documents
- Grammar check only catches simple mistakes
- Not available in multiple languages
- Web app is not compatible with mobile devices
Writers can access AutoCrit at 3 different levels. The free option gives users access to the word processor and editing suite. It also has no word limit, basic grammar and spelling checks, and editing guidance.
The professional level offers these same features plus customized reporting, a progress tracker, and the author comparison tool for $30/month. Then they have the professional level as a yearly option that costs $297/year and has a few minor extras.
Designed as an online essay checker, Virtual Writing Tutor is a tool that offers free grammar checks and more. Students and teachers both can benefit from using this software.
When it is used as a grammar checker, Virtual Writing Tutor finds more than just grammatical errors. It will detect double negatives, tense shifts, missing auxiliaries, and collocation.
The software will also be able to suggest corrections for false cognates, punctuation, contextual spelling mistakes, and word choice.
This Virtual Tutor also offers access to its paraphrase checker, this essentially being a plagiarism detector.
It can also analyze the writer’s word usage to help prevent using overused cliches and optimize cohesion of the work.
The tool also learns the writer’s style and will offer up recommendations to add variety to the writer’s vocabulary. Virtual Writing Tutor can also be used as a teaching tool for those learning English as a second language.
- Gives writers access to an essay outliner and word counter
- Checkers give suggestions for word usages
- Checks for spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors
- Allows access to virtual community for feedback
- Plagiarism detector
- Offers writers essay outlines for multiple essay types
- Checks essays for tone, cohesion, and argument strength
- Offers conversational and academic vocabulary recommendations
- Comes with a target structure checker to ensure the use of specific parts of speech
- Though it is supported on multiple devices, it is not supported on Android
- Limited foreign language options
- No reader’s point of view options
Virtual Writing Tutor is free for all users. You can use the tool with or without a membership. Memberships mean you open a free account with your email and a password. Members get to use the tool with a 3,000 word limit, whereas non-members have a 500 word limit.
13. Paper Rater
Paper Rater is a web-based tool great for students, whether in college or high school. It is mostly used to check essays for plagiarism and grammar errors.
Paper Rater compares text with works by other students that are around the same school level to offer suggestions on how to improve the user’s writing.
The software offers immediate feedback for its users. It uses AI technology and Data Science to analyze the submitted text for any issues.
This is a cloud-based software that checks the syntax and structure of a writer’s work and can generate a rough estimate of the possible grade a work might receive.
Some of the things it looks for are variability, vocabulary, passive voice, and phrases to avoid. Paper Rater’s vocabulary builder is a tool offered to users that provides definitions and common uses of a specific word.
Another part of the feedback a user will receive are readability statistics that help the writer see what the reader will see.
- Software includes a plagiarism detector
- Checkers for grammar and spelling errors
- Provides feedback and writing suggestions in real time
- Offers a vocabulary builder
- Provides a free essay checker for students of all levels
- Detects plagiarism within the work
- Compares works by other students to offer suggestions for improvement
- Uses Google and Bing search engines which affects its accuracy
- Has a word limit of 1,500 words for free users
- Is not offered in multiple languages or translations
Paper Rater is primarily a free resource that offers accessible writing tools to help users enhance their work.
If users choose, the company does offer a premium membership. This bumps up the maximum submission length to 20 pages, the amount of submissions per month moves to 200 with 25 plagiarism checks per month plus extras that are not available in the free version. Premium subscriptions start at $7.95/month, or $71.55/year.
14. Citation Machine
Citation Machine is a web-based service from the company Chegg, a well-known brand in the college scene. It is a very useful tool in creating citations to a piece of work.
However, it also offers other services like a plagiarism and grammar checker.
The software itself is very easy to use. It offers step-by-step instructions on how it is for all new users. Plus, it has a pretty accurate checker that detects errors in punctuation, spelling, and word usage.
The citation creator and grammar checker can be used with each other. This allows the writer to edit and revise their work and get help with citing into the text at the same time. It can also help the writer with consistency throughout the text.
It offers services for multiple styles of writing. Citation Machine contains over 7,000 styles that include APA, MLA, and Chicago.
- Citation creator for multiple styles of writing
- Offers a plagiarism detector to avoid accidental plagiarism
- Offers in-depth checks to strengthen the writing
- Includes a checker for grammar and other writing errors
- Extremely user-friendly, even for new users
- Highly accurate grammar checker
- Offers assistance in many different styles of writing
- Each feature works well with other software features
- Very low maximum limits for error suggestions
- Only usable in web browsers
- Only comes in one language, English
Chegg offers Citation Machine at 3 different levels. Their first being the basic level that is free.
A step up from their free options is Citation Machine Plus which comes with a 3-day free trial. This offers unlimited grammar checks, plagiarism detection, and expert assistance for up to 15 papers a month. This offer starts at $9.95/month.
The top of the line subscription is their Citation Machine Plus & Chegg Study Pack. This package comes with everything the Plus package has with practice problems & solutions, a math solver, and textbook solutions with expert Q&As for $19.95/month.
Reverso is a free online software that offers contextual translations with a spelling and grammar checker.
Reverso supports both American and British English and can translate up to 11 languages. It is often used by those that are learning a new language.
The program offers dictionary definitions, synonyms, and conjugations. With these tools it offers real-life uses of words. It also comes with review materials and pronunciations. This helps users write, read, and speak in their chosen language.
The Phrasebook feature of this software allows the user to have access to the history and examples of a foreign language. Users are able to learn words and phrases using flashcards as well.
Reverso utilizes Ginger Software’s algorithm for their grammar checker. This means AI technology is able to accurately translate the submitted work and provide contextual suggestions for improvement.
- 11 language instant translator with pronunciations by native speakers
- Natural pronunciation guide of translated words
- Contextual examples of translated words
- Proofreading services that check for spelling and grammar errors
- File importing for easy uploading of documents that need translations
- Can correct common writing errors
- Supported across multiple devices
- AI powered translator that offers examples of usage
- Allows the user to listen to pronunciations in their translation
- Mostly translation oriented
- Offers no plagiarism detection
- Has a 600 word proofreading limit
Reverso can be used online or through the app for free. However, they have multiple options for those that need more assistance.
Their paid one-time uses include a 2,500 word/6 page limit for $11.78. A 10,000 word/25 page limit for $35.33. A 50,000 word/120 page limit for $117.76, and customized limit based off of how much you choose to pay.
Their renewing subscription services include a 6,000 monthly word limit for 11.76/month, and an annual subscription that has a yearly limit of 75,000 words at $7.05/month billed once at $84.64. They also offer a customized Enterprise package that offers multiple accounts and a group contract.
How Do You Use Grammar Checkers?
There are a lot of different types of grammar checkers available. For the most part, they all work in the same general way.
Web Based Software Tools
For web-based software tools and applications you will have to navigate to the chosen website or app to enter your writing.
Most of these will allow you to copy and paste a pre-written work into a text box. If you have not already written the work, you will probably have the choice to write directly in the checker.
Some checkers will find errors and offer suggestions as you type. Others you have to click a “check” button located somewhere on the page. Half of the checkers use color coding to identify what kind of error you have made, and the other half don’t just highlight all errors in the same color.
Browser Based Tools
Browser extensions on the other hand work a little differently.
They will automatically begin to work in a way very similar to the grammar and spell check found in Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and Apple Pages.
These will underline or highlight the errors detected in with different colors.
The one thing that most of these checkers have in common is what you do when they find errors. When you click or hover your mouse over the errors, they will offer up suggestions for fixing the issue.
What Should You Look For In A Grammar Checker?
When looking to use a grammar checker for finding and fixing any errors in your writing, there are a few things you want to make sure to look for.
Making sure the grammar checker in question has a fairly simple interface is very important. This means the program will be easy for you to use. Whether you are paying for the service or not, you will need to be able to actually use the tool.
Once you know you can easily use the product, check the reviews, and see how its accuracy holds up. For in-depth writings you will need something that is able to catch uncommon mistakes often made thanks to how many exceptions there are in grammar rules.
Using a tool meant to catch mistakes that doesn’t actually catch mistakes is counterproductive.
Not only do you want a grammar checker, but you may need something that offers a little more than that. Some writings may require a little more detailed improvement. Check to see if the tool you are looking into does other things to help you along.
Some checkers will also check to make sure your writing is consistent all the way through, and give you feedback on how easy or hard it is for readers to understand. Just because a thought makes sense in your head doesn’t mean you know how to word it properly on paper.
Educates You In Writing
A perk to using checkers that really dig deep in your writing is that it can actually teach you to be a better writer. Being a better writer means you can write things with more confidence on your own. This means you will rely less on the checker to avoid mistakes.
Once you find a checker that seems to fit these needs and any others you may have, make sure it is an affordable option for your situation. A lot of these tools offer free versions but those tend to be limited in what they can do. However, make sure you check to make sure purchasing a subscription or app won’t break the bank.
Don’t Go For Translators
One thing to look out for are the ones that claim to be grammar checkers but are more targeted to being translators. Yes, these may still be able to find mistakes in your writing but may not be the most accurate. They also don’t usually do as much actual proof reading as actual grammar checkers do.
Following these simple guidelines will help you narrow down your search for quality software. Even paid subscriptions tend to offer money back guarantees and trial periods.
The best option is to always test the free version of a software before bringing out the checkbook and paying for one you know nothing about.
When it comes down to it, the best grammar checker out there depends on your specific needs.
There are checkers that offer a service that does it all. From grammar and spell checking, to offering suggestions on part of speech, to making sure the tone of you writing is good.
Then you have some more basic ones that just help you find typing errors you may have missed.
There is even a service that will help you find errors, avoid plagiarism, and help you create those confusing cites at the end of a paper.
It’s really about your needs and finding the right tool for the job. Let me know what you ended up selecting in the comments.